Thursday, November 13, 2008

Vaccination

On this coming 30 November, Leia will turn 1 year old. That also means, she will have to go for her next jab soon. Oh, another painful experience for her....

Ever since she was born, I have taken her to a government clinic for her periodic check-up and the scheduled vaccinations. Even if she falls ill, my trust is in the government doctors. After the horrible experience we had to go through when she first had a fever a months back with a private doctor, we have basically decided that medical assistance from government doctors will be our first choice from then onwards.

Call me bias but in my personal opinion, the chances of receiving sincere service is greater when monetary reward is not the main objective. This applies to many other aspects in life.

Anyway, back to Leia's vaccination schedule. She will be receiving her MMR (measles, mumps and rubella vaccines). Other optional vaccines which are made available in private hospitals for this age are chicken pox vaccine and pneumococcal C vaccine. Here is the attached link to Malaysia mandatory and recommended vaccination schedule for our children.

Our children have to be free from illnesses during the vaccination period. This is to ensure that they'll be better able to handle the vaccination when they are healthy.

It was unfortunate that I couldn't send Leia for the optional ones like Rotavirus and Pneumococcal vaccines earlier as she was not well when the right time came. Now that she's more than 8 months old, she no longer needs Rotavirus vaccine because there's not enough evidence to show how well it works in older babies. Thank God she passed the testing time!

As for Pneumococcal vaccine, I can still get her vaccinated. According to the expert, for children aged 12 to 23 months, two doses should be administered at least two months apart.

Will seek the doctor's advise when I send her for MMR vaccination this coming 1st Dec...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup, I bring my son to the goverment clinic for the vaccine injection too. I believe everyday praticed & applied nurses can do well too. But I do bring my son to private for physical check up. My son just took his MMR last mth, he had some rashes at evening after the injection. cox he is a bit sensitive to egg white....but no fever.
After taking the medicine for 2 days, everything seems alright.

anne said...

Wow...lucky that he didn't develop fever. Yeah, the nurse told me earlier to start giving her egg white in her meal before the vaccination. Just to get her body used to it and to check any symptoms of allergy.

So, I've given her several times and thus, no symptoms found..let's wait and see.