Sunday, November 9, 2008

Horror story

Oh...it's so good to be back home! We picked up Leia from my aunty's place on our way home. Before we could enter her house, we heard Leia screaming away.

As soon as she saw me, she hurriedly leaned her body forward - expecting me to hold her. Oh, what a nice feeling to hold her in my arms once again. Indeed, absence makes the heart grow fonder...

It has not been a comfortable experience for Leia. (As usual, this overly worried mom called aunty everyday from outstation to check on her.) On her first night alone there, she couldn't put herself to sleep. Though aunty tried her best to follow my advise of what to do whenever Leia show any of the 3 signs (as per my earlier post), she resisted and slept only at 11pm (way over her usual bedtime which is around 9 plus). Only to wake up again around 1 plus and kicked up a big fuss. She was wailing and struggling and kept on pointing finger towards the door. It was as if she was asking to take her home. My aunty struggled to put her back to sleep. Her incessant crying woke up my grandma too and she helped to manage her but without much success. It was almost 3 in the morning, when she stopped crying and by then, my cousin has woken up from her slumber too and chipped in to help. Out of desperation, my grandma dialled 911 for help. Eh no-lah. She dialled my parents' home number.

My mom and dad came rushing to check on her. Leia then followed them home. Luckily, after feeding her with milk, she finally dozed off on my parents' bed. So, my dad was kicked out of the room and has to make do with sleeping upright on the sofa...

Leia's second night was a bit better. Though she slept past 11pm, she didn't wake up middle of the night this time. What a great relief for my aunty and the whole family. And a great relief to me too knowing that Leia was feeling a bit better and getting enough rest.

There are many contributing factors as to why she has behaved such;
1. Changed of place
2. Separation anxiety
3. My aunty's place is hot - she's developing rashes again which lead to greater discomfort
4. Over-stimulation through play and stress

Even during the day, nothing that my aunt did pleased her. It took 4 people to feed her - my aunty held the spoon, my grandma sat at the side to make sure she sits still all the time and my little cousin brothers entertained her by playing with her.

When my aunty put her in her cot, she made a fuss. She "cried" (minus the tears). Took her out from her cot, she cried again. Gave her favourite toys, she pushed them away. My aunty almost went bonkers, I think.

I'm glad that she is now back at home now. She slept like a sleeping beauty lastnight. And that was at 9 plus. Nothing out of ordinary behaviours shown. Back to her routine....

Oh Leia, I'm so sorry that I have put you through all these. I think I better find better solutions fast!

0 comments: