Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Sleeping time

Who usually put your baby to sleep? You or your partner? Or maid? If it's you, how do you feel about this given "honour"?

Well, in my case, most of the time it will be me. There may be 1 or 2 occasions my hubby would have to do it but I personally rather handle it myself. Why? Coz I can easily put her to sleep without having to tear the whole house down!

You see, Leia has 3 types of sleeping signs that we can identify easily -

1. The blank stares. No matter how much we want to entertain her through stimulations like play, making funny faces, sing songs, etc, she will not react as we expected her to be. She will just give you the blank stare. For this case, putting her to sleep is easy-peasy. Just put her down in her cot and plug in her "chut chut" (pacifier) and within seconds, she'll be in dreamland...

2. The screamings and strugglings (must be due to over-stimulation earlier). Hooyoh... hubby certainly wouldn't want to offer help in such situations. And I certainly wouldn't make to make a fuss out of it. Coz, if he couldn't settle her down within 15 minutes, I would have to come to rescue. So, I'd rather handle her from the beginning to avoid unnecessary, prolonged stress for all - Leia, hubby and I!

3. The "play-by-myself" act. Easy. Put her down in her cot and give her a book or her favourite toy, Sponge Bob, she will happily play on her own for a while before slowly lying on her side/back and zzzzzz......

So, guess which sign she showed tonight?

Oh, she loves interacting through the cot net. Stick my face there and she will do the same...Mom and daughter bonding

She loves lying down at the corners too

Aik! Get up again?

Playing with her hanky

Lying down at opposite corner. Meddling with her book

Yeh....sleep d...

No leh...

Finally....

So, what's your guess?

Let me know your answer in the Comments and I will let you know whether you are right or wrong..k? ;)


3 comments:

Tahiyyah M. said...

Oh she's sooo cute!

Let me guess.. the third one?

Putting the kids to sleep is one touhg job! Putting the big ones is even more difficult. The small ones you have the dummies, the toys and such, or you can cuddle or rub their back. The big ones.. you have use lots of "words" asking them to go to sleep unless they are really tired. These days what I do is asked my elder boys to get in their room latest by 10pm and close the door.. what they do after that is their problem but nobody is supposed to come out! Mean huh!

Anonymous said...

I have the 4th way - bring him out for shopping. He sometimes sleep in the car,I gently carry him when reached home. and I gently clean his face, hands & feet, feed him milk, he drink the milk blur blurly, and he continues his sweet dream.

Last time, I usually carry him, shake him until he falls asleep. Lately, he don't like to be carried when he wants to sleep. And I know shaking him to sleep is not a long term way & i do practice ur method 3. Let him play until he is tired, but he wants me to acompany him on his matress, no talk to him in dim light & I have to pretend like I have sleep. I am tired to keep call him to sleep, so I do practice ur method 3.....

anyway, how oldisur daughter?

anne said...

Hi mommy dearie,
You're right. It was the 3rd one.

Hmmm, my time will come when I probably need to use the same method as yours right now. Sometimes, I get overly worried over my parenting skill. What if I do not know how to handle a certain situation? Driving me crazy...!

Hi Siau Yuen,
Same same here :)When she was a newborn, my only workable method to putting her to sleep was carrying and rocking her till she dozed off. Now, no way she's gonna allow me to do that! Blessing in disguise...hehehe.

She's 11-month old now. Will turn 1 this coming Nov 30 :)