Thursday, November 20, 2008

Food experiment - Fried anchovies

Ever since we started adding the fried and then blended anchovies into her porridge last weekend, she has loved her mealtime again! That's great!

It's very simple. Just sprinkle a pinch of the anchovies powder onto her porridge at every mealtime.

Prior to this, I have used different method to include anchovies (a good source of iron) into her food. I boiled them overnight in a pot of water. Then the next morning, drain them and put in the rest of other ingredients like rice, potato, carrot, spinach and meat into the slow cooker to cook.

I have heard of mommies who fry and then blend anchovies but never really wanted to try it earlier for 1. i do not know how 2. she was loving her porridge the way it was cooked then

But when she started refusing her food lately, I have to start thinking again of ways to get her to eat "enough". So, decided to give it a try - though still not knowing how. Take a look at how I have "produced" it;

A big handful of dried anchovies

Stir...stir....stir...look the thickening carbon on the surface of the wok

Turning brown. Smelled like "belacan"!

The broken pieces of bones and parts...

Done! Crispy!

Before I can blend them, I need to sieve them first. Separating the carbon and broken pieces from the well-done ones. Then, blend.

1 area of improvement for me : Stir fry under low fire... Ok, ok, will improve next time!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Hmm interesting way to spice up food and good that it's a source of iron. Where do you buy the anchovies? Would be interested to see if my 9 month old would down her porridge and looking for a different variety other than her usual sweet pots, squash, and pumpkin. Thanks for the post - useful stuff!

anne said...

Hi Lisa,

I can get good quality anchovies in many places in Penang. My mom got them for me at her favourite shop in town. Can you find them easily at your place?

HB Heng said...

testing 1 2 3.. i am superman

HB Heng said...

testing 2