Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Cultural Treasures: Zhuazhou

I just thought of sharing this great article forwarded by a friend of mine about a traditional ceremony practised by certain Chinese on their babies' first birthday. It's called "Zhuazhou" (don't ask me how to pronounce it correctly coz I don't know either!) In English, it's defined as "Catch" (according to my Chinese literate friend...)

It's about letting your baby choose an item from the display in front of her. Whichever first item selected determines her future inclination and capabilities. Sounds fun, right...?

My friend shared with me that she has selected a pencil and ruler when she was 1 year old and today, she's in academic line! Amazing! I've never heard of this tradition before. None of my old relatives ever mentioned about it.

For those of us who are not superstitious, I find it's still a fun game to play with our babies on their first birthday. I will certainly let Leia play this "game" on her birthday.

In this little small way, we can help to keep the tradition and custom alive too! Read about it more here!

P/S: I wonder what item would I have selected if I was given a chance to participate in this ceremony when I was 1 year old.... Looking at my career journey so far....hmmm, I would have selected several different items! Pencil... phone... sweets... radio cassette... a dollar bill...

3 comments:

Tahiyyah M. said...

Hey .. this is really interesting. I bet none of my Chinese friends knew about this as none ever told me so! So what did Leia choose? Go throw that party and have this Zhuazou as part of the play. It'll be so much fun. Happy Birthday Leia.. may she grow to be one healthy and happy toddler!

Anonymous said...

testing

anne said...

Yeah... I find it very interesting too. Asked my mom again yesterday evening if she knew of this tradition. And she said, "yes"! But then she started complaining about how "modern" I've become that she wouldn't thought that I would agree to doing it on my daughter. Hahhaha....I think I'll just do my best to raising her God's way. Simple. But I'd certainly like to include this Zhuazhou as part of the play in her party.
And thanks for the best wishes, I'll show her this message when she knows how to read! :)