Sunday, October 26, 2008

Food experiment - Pumpkin pancake

Yesterday, I made a new dish for Leia based on the recipe given by www.wholesomebabyfood.com. It was supposed to be Sweet Potato Pancake but in the end, it turned out to be Pumpkin Pancake instead. Let me share with you why...

Due to hectic work in the office for the past few days, I couldn't go out and get the sweet potatoes from Giant, the nearest hypermarket to my office. Instead, I got up very early on Saturday morning and went to pick up one big Thai (according to the seller's maid) sweet potato from the grocery shop near my house. Man, was I glad or what that I could still carry on with my food experiment now that I have my sweet potato...

Washed it and ready to cut

Yikes!!! Look at what I found!! Rotten sweet potato with live worms squirming inside...!!!!

Gosh, it was so gross!! I snapped a few more close-up pictures but decided not to publish them. Believe me, the yucky sight is too much to handle...

I was devastated. My weekend food experiment was ruined... Then, I had a better idea. Not willing to give up by this unforeseen disaster, I decided to go ahead and used pumpkin instead.

So, my project continued..

Align CenterFreshly cut pumpkin...

The recipe given by the website is;

2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup cooked sweet potatoes, mashed
1 egg
1/3 cup all-purpose flour (use graham flour for a nice taste!)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup milk (or more)

But I decided to modify it. I have made many plain pancakes for my brother, granny and I when I was still schooling. So, it should be "sap sap sui" (cantonese word for easy-peasy) this time.

So, this is my modified pumpkin recipe;

olive oil
1 slice of pumpkin, mashed
1 egg
wheat flour (tepung gandum)
Leia's milk powder

Put them all in. Flour, egg and milk powder

Stir and add in a bit of water. According to the website, the mixture should have the consistency of thick, lumpy sauce like an "instant" pancake mix. But I like mine thin and crispy. So, I made a more diluted mixture.

Steamed pumpkin with fork holes mark - to test its softness


Mashed the pumpkin and added into the mixture

So then, ready to cook. Heat up the wok (couldn't use my non-stick pan as I have just discovered that it has turned rusty at certain places...yeah, more surprises...) and put in some oil. Spooned batter into the wok and cooked until bubbles rised to the surface of the pancake and broke. Approximately 1-2 minutes. Flipped the pancake and cooked for another 2 minutes.


Treng...teng...teng...! Pretty tasty despite made without sugar


"Whoa! Mommy, that's a lot of pancakes..."

Leia helped herself with the pancakes, though not much. She was more excited playing with them! So, it was mommy who had to finish them up. I like them a bit sweeter. So, I ate them with honey. Not that bad after all...

0 comments: