Friday, December 5, 2008

Vaccinated!

Thank God everything went smoothly and she didn't show any allergy reaction till now.

It was a half day affair yesterday. We (Leia, aunty and I) reached hospital coming to 9.30am. Yeah, this mommy took forever to get both of us ready... As usual, the car parking bays were all taken and I had no choice but to park my car so far far away - some nearby housing area. Man, it was such a hot sunny day! By the time I reached the hospital compound, I was drenched in sweat.

Funny - we were asked to register at the Emergency and Accidents area. I felt a bit uncomfortable having to see all the gory sights of bloody people and old grannies with oxygen masks covered half of their faces waiting to be examined. I tried very hard to keep Leia out of those sights by keeping her occupied with her books. Surprisingly, nothing much was done to Leia there except asking a bit of her particulars by a doctor. Then, we were taken to another counter (to register again) and to pay a RM10 deposit. Then, off to the Ward C1 we went.

As soon as we entered the ward area, we were greeted with cryings and groans of babies and toddlers. They were everywhere accompanied mostly by their mothers. Many of these kids had tubes attached to their noses and hands. They looked so sickly and scrawny. A very sad sight...

Leia then had her BP (blood pressure) checked and weight taken. That was the first time I saw a BP cloth wrapped on the leg instead of the arm. I didn't ask why. I figured her arm is too small and short to fit the wide cloth.

She was given a cot placed next to another baby who needed observation for the MMR vaccination. She was happy to meet a new friend. In fact, she was feeling happy the whole morning - singing, talking and clapping hands all the way to the hospital. I think that was because she didn't know....what's to come...

Her designated cot - out of place. Without a pillow - the hospital ran out of pillows

Look at the many cots at background

Yeh... Sponge Bob was there too!

View from her cot

Thank God, the vaccination wasn't that traumatic an experience for her. She willingly allowed me to hold her arm firmly before the nurse "cucuk" (poked in Malay) her. As expected, she yelled as soon as she realised it but quickly came a silence as well when I picked her up. Phew... No struggling and kicking and screaming this time. The experienced nurse saved the day!

A happy girl once again!

Her monitoring sheet

Finally... dozed off.... despite the noise and the very warm surrounding

She was given the jab around 11am. And the nurse advised that she be observed for the next 6 hours. If no symptoms shown, then she could be discharged. Wow....that were a lof of hot hours!

But thankfully, around 3pm, the practising docs and experienced ones who did a round check was happy with her progress. Thus, she was given the approval to discharge earlier. So, did was the other MMR vaccinated baby. Hooray!

Helping mommy to pack?

So, we left the hospital around 3.45pm after settling the bill and documentations. But will have to continue to monitor her progress overnight. Was given paracetamol syrup - just in case she develops fever at night. But as I said earlier, she's fine with no symptoms till now. Thank God...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

where u bring ur daughter for the MMR vaccine? I bring my son to goverment clinic. Why no one told me about precaution except they said some bb might have fever? Actually i brought my son for the poke on 3pm and we went back. No observation too like ur daughter case. During evening time after he wakes up from his afternoon sleep. The rashes all around his body started to occur. It is heavy rain & i can't bring him out that time. I immediately called up the regular pead at Lam Wah Ee to confirm. Cause i gave him some egg white that morning, i don't know is the egg white or the MMR brought the rashes? Luckily I have the anti-histamine (medicine for sensitive skin from previous), after consumed the medicine, he sort of relieve.....
no one from clinic ever told me to test him with little egg white before MMR, cox come into coincident that i gave him some egg white for testing. Actually i forgot his schedule for the vaccine & recall in the afternoon. Bad experience huh....

anne said...

Hi Siau Yuen,

I normally take my daughter to the government clinic at Perak Road for her regular check-ups and vaccinations.

Yeah, I'm surprised the nurses didn't advise you to do so. I guess it's not consistent when it comes to their consultation approach. I had a nurse told me that this vaccination won't develop fever. Well, we both know it's not true. So, my take is that I shouldn't rely on 1 source of information especially when it comes to our child's welfare. I think online info finding helps a lot