Thursday, December 11, 2008

Anmum or Gain Plus?

Selection of the "right" milk powder for our kids is another area of concern for those moms who have stopped breastfeeding like yours truly... There are so many well-known brands in the market with their own niche selling points which makes it even more complicated in the selection process. Some added extra content into the milk powder to help ease constipation and what-not. Sometimes, getting spoilt with choices is not a pleasurable experience, don't you agree?

Another challenge with this milk powder issue is the need to change the milk powder type so frequently. Many parents would have noticed that many brands classify their milk powder in various stages based on the age of the child. For example - Anmum has Step 1 (0-6 months old), Step 2 (6-12 months old) and Step 3 (1-3 year old). Whereas brands like Similac makes it less complicated by combining Anmum Step 1 & 2 into one (that is 0-12 months old).

So, expectantly with Leia being 1 year old now, I have to "upgrade" her milk powder to "1-3 years old" category. Nevertheless, glad to know that the next time we'll need to "upgrade" it again will be another 3 years time down the road!

I bought Anmum for Leia previously. Now that she is 1 year old, my milk powder supplier recommended me Gain Plus.


Yes, I don't buy the milk powder from supermarkets. I have a nurse friend who can supply me at discounted price. According to her, Gain Plus milk powder is more superior than Anmum as the nutrient content is greater than the latter. So, I listened to her advise. But similar like Similac (both Similac and Gain Plus are the products of Abbott group), it has a thick layer of froth formed once mixed with water and shaken in milk bottle. Now I have a small concern - won't our toddlers be sucking in too much air if that is the case?

I have checked with my supplier and she assured me that it's nothing to be worried about. The froth formation was caused by 1 missing ingredient in the milk powder. The ingredient (which acts like a stabiliser) is purportedly omitted out to preserve the high content of "natural" ingredients used. In fact, only Abbout milk products will have froth formation due to the fact mentioned above.

Wanting to believe her, I did a test. I mixed 1 ounce of Anmum milk powder into 6 ounce of Gain Plus into the boiled water. Then shook it. Surprisingly, no froth formed this time. Hmmm... what's your thoughts?

If you are in my shoes, which brand would you have chosen for Leia? Anmum or Gain Plus? (Let's not go further with other brands...)

3 comments:

Mummy Joanne and Daddy Terence said...

i will suggest Gain Plus. I get few good feedback about this milk powder.

anne said...

Thanks a lot, I eventually chose gain plus over anmum. considering the greater list of "nutrients" contained in gain plus. she's been happily drinking it and no complaints thus far. :)

Anonymous said...

HI ANNE,
CAN U SHARING WITH ME?
WANT TO KNOW...TILL NOW U STIL MIX ANMUM WITH GAIN PLUS?
NOW MY SON 1 YEAR ALREADY, PREVIOUSLY I GIVE HIM ANMUM, I WANT CHANGE TO GAIN PLUS, PLS GIVE ADVICE FOR 1ST TIME CHANGE MILK .. CAN I CALL U